Friday, March 06, 2009

Fun with Craig's List

I never knew that giving away an air hockey table using Craig's List could be so entertaining. A couple of weeks ago I decided that my garage would be better off without that table (I'm not sure why I thought that since all the stuff that used to be piled on it is now on the floor.)

As soon as I posted the free table, I was getting an email every 30 seconds or so. I was kind of overwhelmed, since I tend to be sort of a "pleaser" personality. I wanted ALL of those people to have the air hockey table and I could only give it to one person! :-( But before I could respond to any of those 40 emails that were already piling up, I had to frantically delete my listing.

However, after I responded to the first five people who had emailed me and tried to set up "appointments," I discovered that they were imposters ... crank callers. Apparently most of those people had no interest in the free air hockey table -- they just wanted to mess with me.

Annoyed, I wrote an email to everyone, telling them I had just put the table in my front yard and they could just take their chances and come get it if it was still there.

One guy wrote back: "Thanks, but I'm not sure if want to get into a tugging match on your front porch with all those other freeloaders."

Someone ended up picking up the table -- I think it was the woman with the email address "pinkyallstinky." Not sure how I feel about that. Hmmm.... Craig's List is an interesting place.

5 Comments:

Blogger bluesugarpoet said...

that is crazy! once I posted a garage sale a few days early. I had people knocking at my door and wanting to buy my stuff the day before the sale.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Maria Dudley said...

Crazy garage sale people.... my aunt is one of those people. Once she did an abrupt U-turn practically hitting 3 cars after she saw a garage sale sign.

10:32 AM  
Blogger PJD said...

I, for one, am glad it's gone.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Lille Diane said...

This was funny. I have just recently had my first experience with craigs, too. Lots of scammers on there. Happy your air hockey table found a home even if you shudder at the thought of what kind of home it went to. Now that was a strange nick. Very strange....

9:33 PM  
Blogger Maria Dudley said...

Thanks Lille Diane! I was surprised to see a comment since I hardly ever blog....

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home