Friday, January 05, 2007

11 dysfuntional kids

No,10 dysfuntional kids since the 11th never even comes to class. I'm teaching this after school math intervention for children who score at the bottom of the grid. We are hoping to improve their math skills by offering them an individualized Harcourt math program..... but it turns out they don't want to improve their math skills. They write things like "Freddy loves Jazmina" on their whiteboards instead of doing their work.

I yelled at all of them except for one girl yesterday(who I let go to the prize box), and Peter pointed out that I might as well have fed her to the wolves.

There's always Monday!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly T. said...

Maria, don't give up! I can offer one hopeful thing for you to consider. I too worked with kids (I was only a volunteer in my child's class) who were behind in their math skills. These were 4th graders in a public school. I too came from a world where I only had boys, and understood them. My challenge was a girl who obviously had no tools at home (basic supplies that most kids have to help them with math). I knew I was over stepping my role when I brought in a calculator and ruler for her to take home, but I didn't care. I could tell instinctively that she did not have a parent who was focusing on her at home. She seemed to not care at all, but with a lot of patience on my part (not easy) I could tell I was making a difference. After some time went by, she showed a great improvement in not only her math skills, but basic confidence in herself. As I look back many years later, I know I made a difference in that little girl's life, and that is a great feeling for me. You obviously have a gift for helping kids, just know that it takes a lot of time, one kid at at time. Take a deep breathe, and continue to be there for these kids, as you DO make a difference, whether you see it or not!

Best to you and your family,

Kelly T.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home